Sunday, October 7, 2012

Chicken hair

So...I got a little haircut the other day.  I was getting that familiar urge to just chop all of my hair off, like I have done a couple of times before.  But each time I do that I end up whining for the two years that it takes to grow it back out, considering that my hair grows at a glacial pace.  "Hair grows an half an inch a month on average" my foot!  Try like 1/16th of an inch!  After I chopped it all off the week after our wedding, I made Timothy promise to not ever let me do that again.  After hearing me whine incessantly, he was more than happy to oblige. 
Dramatic hair chop off 1: Freshman college edition
Dramatic hair chop off 2: Freshman marriage edition (w/ my sweet niece Emma)
So last week, I knew I wanted a change but didn't need to go all dramatic on it.  So, I decided I was going to get some bangs.  I was a little nervous, because I have had bangs before.  And by bangs, I mean thick block o' bangs that followed me through life all the way to 8th grade. 
I had bangs AND a perm going on in this picture.  Double 90s!
After smartly deciding to grow them out in 9th grade, my dad started referring to them in their posthumous state as the "bang thang."  This title was accompanied by a hand gesture, where he would put the back of his hand up to his forehead with his fingers pointed out and wiggle them, as if those bangs had been living, moving creatures with a mind of their own.  So you will understand my reservation in introducing bangs back in to my life. 
While growing out my bangs.  Those silver things on top of my 
head are little clips holding my bangs back.  
Allll of this being said, I went last weekend and got my hair cut.  And not to prematurely disappoint you, but no, I am not going to post a picture of my cute new bangs in this post.  It has been craaazy humid and rainy down here the past week and I have yet to successfully capture these new bangs (in a flattering fashion, at least).  I will, however, give you a glimpse into the comedy that can be my hair.  You see, today I decided to try them out in the curly fashion.  My hair has some natural waviness to it, and I can usually get it to work alright, but I wasn't sure how the bangs would react to a little hair gel and diffusion.  Well friends, some of them rebelled...in a most comedic fashion.  I give you, the chicken hair:
I sent this picture to my mom and sister and my sister's awesome reply:  "How did that happen???"  hahaha!  I was wondering the same thing!  I successfully got that thing calmed down with a little hairspray and tucking (and maybe threatening) and Husband and I went to dinner. 
Well, as soon as we got home, I went to throw my hair in a bun and then used a little clip to keep my bangs out of my face.  Now friends, we all know that Husband is NOT a fan of buns (hair ones, because that needs clarifying).  If you are not aware of his dislike of buns, please read here.  So now that that is established, let's resume.  So I had clipped my hair back and am going about my business when I happened to walk past a mirror.  And guess what I saw...
Those crazy chicken hairs had REVOLTED AGAIN!  At this point, I was quite positive that Husband and these bangs were in this conspiracy together. 
A side view, in case you do not realize just how crazy these little things were acting:
Unbelievable!  So as I type this, I have crazy looking chicken hair going on and am just stubborn enough to act like I don't even care.  Take THAT you bangs! 
Hope you guys had a good weekend and didn't have any chicken bang coups on your hands like I did.  Promise to get better (and tamer) pictures up sometime next week.  :) 




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I can tell the bangs are already presenting a problem. What happen to those I saw in a pic which you sent you Mom on her cell phone the day you had them cut. Straight down, hair straight down, you looked beautiful to this Nan....Try again, same style please and let your fans vote on that style! Whatcha' think? Nan

Kim said...

hahaha! oh my gosh! i do the same thing! i have these weird urges to just chop it off and then i end up regretting it. but i love your hair!

-kim
found the route

Julie Anna Helms said...

Thanks Kim! I totally know what you mean about wanting to chop your hair off and then regretting it! Thankfully I haven't regretted the bangs too much! Thanks for stopping by!