Monday, January 9, 2012

Food!

Growing up, I absolutely hated the idea of cooking!  I always had a problem with raw meat, and actually didn't like eating meat as a kid. (Don't worry, I got over that eventually.  Me and fried chicken are best friends now.) One of the stories my mom loves to tell is of her coming home one day after asking me to cook some bacon for dinner.  Not only had I almost gagged all over the raw pig, I had on elbow high rubber gloves, tongs, and a knife, attempting to saw through the plastic wrapping to cut the bacon in half.  I wish I could say I was only about 12 when this happened....nope, 19.  Possibly older, can't really remember, which is crazy because it was a pretty traumatic moment in my life.  Fast forward a couple of years, and you see an engaged Julie Anna and her mom who kept offering cooking lessons.  But I would have none of it!  Fast forward just a few months, to when I became a wife.  A wife!  I can't really explain what happened, but something just clicked in my female brain and I began  actually tolerating wanting to cook and clean and iron and do all of that wifey stuff women are supposed to be offended by in this day and age.  In the past year and a half, I cannot count how many times I have called my mom for cooking advice.  Now I really wish I had taken her up on those cooking classes, she's a great cook with a lot of experience.  Also in the past year and a half I have asked for some type of kitchen appliance/utensils for every gift giving occasion.  For Christmas I got an awesome deep fryer, some beautiful vintage cookbooks, and a gorgeous professional grade KitchenAid stand mixer.  Needless to say, I have definitely broken out the deep fryer; can't wait to use the other things I got as well!  So anyways, I hope that food will be another aspect of this blog, to share recipes and food successes and failures.  To start this out on a high note, I'm going to post a picture of mine and the husband's dinner last night.  Phyllo wrapped chicken stuffed with spinach and cheese (I adore cheese!), honey baked tomatoes, and wild rice: all courtesy of my Southern Living cookbook (that my awesome sister gave me!) Enjoy the pictures!  And as Julia Child would say, Bon Appétit!

Sorry it's such a crappy picture, I am definitely not a food photographer!

Aaaand a crappy phone pic, but look!  Tots!

Cookbooks!  And a week old cookie!  Yay!


And my pretty mixer!  Here she is!

1 comment:

Catrina Bradley said...

God gave us moms so we would have someone to call for help. And He gave us daughters so we could have someone to pass that knowledge on to. You have one of the BEST moms ever, and I know she treasures passing on that wifey-type advice to her daughters.
Hugs and Love
Cathy B.